Sunday 2 May 2010

APRIL COME SHE WILL

The first cuckoos and hobby are now here and the woods are full of the nightingales marvellous song.This week I have been to Stodmarsh and Orelstone forest,a red rumped swallow turned up at Samphire Hoe on wednesday and an early lychnis moth made it to my trap.This male marsh harrier gave me the evil eye at stodmarsh,and this kestrel has taken up residence at the hoe.The Grizzled Skipper is a new species for me and was one of my targets for the year so I was very pleased to find this little beauty in Orlestone forest,where there were also lots of brimstones on the wing.Nightingales have the most haunting song of our summer visitors and can be found in abundance in the coppiced areas of Faggs wood there,with at least half a dozen in full voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment