Friday 7 September 2012

A VISIT TO THE NEIGHBOURS

Wednesday morning dawned bright and sunny,a quick check of weather forecast and a snap decision was made to go for the brown hairstreak in Sussex,I`ve been looking at the Sussex web site and Steyning rifle range seemed to be the place to go,so off I went.Arrived just after 9.30 and soon found the area which is managed for them,at first there was no sign so I wandered off to the higher ground,still no joy, but eventually found a female laying eggs in the blackthorn where I had first started.
BROWN HAIRSREAK
She was soon on her way, I don`t understand why they don`t occur in Kent we have plenty of blackthorn,tis a mystery and a great shame.Other species seen included Red Admiral,  Comma,  Green Veined White,Speckled Wood,Common Blue and Small Heath

RED ADMIRAL
GREEN VEINED WHITE
I celebrated finding the hairstreak in time honoured fashion with a pint of the local brew" Harveys Best" at the Cricketers near Alfriston a pub well worth a visit,lovely beer, lovely garden.
Had a quick walk up Windover Hill near the Long Man of Wilmington to try for Grayling,may have seen one flying but could not be sure,but did see a fresh Chalk Hill Blue alongside some pretty well worn specimens and several Adonis blues and this flower,which I`ve not seen inKent
ROUND HEADED RAMPION (I think)
The only drawback of going to Sussex is coming back ,it can take an eternity,but it was well worth the effort.

1 comment:

  1. Some Great shots of the Brown Hairstreak well worth the visit !

    ReplyDelete