Wednesday 10 July 2019

DEVON HIGH FLYERS

A brief three day excursion to Devon last week in an attempt to find and see the elusive High Brown Fritillary was I am pleased to report successful.
I left home at 4.15 on Tuesday morning and arrived at the Heddon Valley at 10.30,thankfully an uneventful journey.Having got my bearings and after a quick chat with the NT rangers I  set off on the steep climb towards Trentishoe Coombe.Having missed the turning I tried my luck along a permitted footpath called Ladies Mile and lo and behold before midday I had seen and photographed my quarry,however I had booked two night B&B in Lynton a few miles away,so couldn`t go straight home again.


 HIGH BROWN FRITILLARY
 HBF



After lunch I wandered through the Heddon Valley down to the sea at Heddons Mouth where there were Dark Green and Silver Washed Fritillaries.
 SILVER WASHED FRITILLARY
 DARK GREEN FRITILLARY
DARK GREEN FRITILLARY


HEDDONS MOUTH
 HEDDONS MOUTH.





Next day I did find Trentishoe Coombe and saw more HBFs most were flighty as it was very warm, but one posed momentarily...on a barbed wire fence.
HBF.
In the shade of the oaks on the way back down a Common Redstart was seen and in the stream at the bottom a Dipper showed up briefly.
 COMMON REDSTART
DIPPER,
Later I found another HBF nectaring in a riverside buddleia.
 HBF
HBF.
After this I visited Ilfracombe,my last time here was in 1974 to take a day trip to Lundy, it didn`t seem very familiar.The harbours most striking feature is a 66ft high 25 ton sculpture by Damian Hirst
called VERITY which represents Truth and Justice,evidently it is a bit of a Marmite feature but unlike Marmite I liked it.
VERITY
VERITY






Also in the harbour was this jellyfish which I think is a Barrell Jellyfish.
 BARRELL JELLYFISH
BJ.
So that was it, a successful trip that leaves just the Small Mountain Ringlet to see, for all the mainland butterflies,but that will have to wait until next summer now.

No comments:

Post a Comment