Wednesday 17 September 2014

ORTOLAN ALERT

I was about to go into town to get a long overdue haircut when I received a text from Colin Johnson saying he had found an ORTOLAN BUNTING on the field above Fan Bay,quickly postponing the shearing I soon joined him by the rubble pile,the bird had gone missing.Joined by his brother Kevin we searched the stubble in vain and just as we began to move away it popped up in front of us and sat nicely for a short photo shoot.



 I returned after a brief walk down in to Langdon Hole and relocated the bird just as Steve Ray arrived then a yellowhammer flew by calling and the Ortolan followed into the field.
When I got back to the car an item on radio 2 immediately caught my attention viz:-4 prominent french chefs were appealing for the right to serve ORTOLAN BUNTING on their menus on one day of the year as it was a tradition for the French to eat these poor creatures whole as a roasted delicasy.It is said that.diners would often cover their heads to hide from god.
My hair has now met its fate on the barbers floor.
A few other bits from Samphire Hoe yesterday:-
 LITTLE EGRET ON THE ROCKS
 ADONIS BLUE

 GREY HERON
 MEADOW PIPIT -numbers have risen sharply this week.
 CARLINE THISTLE
TEAL an occasional visitor to the pond.

3 comments:

  1. Superb set of shots Phil, I bet you are mighty happy with them, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots Phil and thanks for the text.

    ReplyDelete